Wednesday, 15 December 2010

Evaluation of session 4 of Moving Forward with confidence

Today's class discussed personal success, as usual we listened to the relaxing voice of Patricia Clegghorn and carried out the relaxation activity. We listened to how students can give themselves an inner boast. Afterwards we discussed this and explored other ways that students can boast themselves, I got them to each list one quality that they possess, to help them to build 'an inner CV' they included;

  • I am unique
  • I am confident
  • I am in control
  • I am patient
  • I have lots to offer
  • I am prepared

It was really good as it gave students a chance to recognise their own unique qualities... its very easy for us to just look at negativity in our lives; I think this helps students to break away from that.

When I studied the Educational focused NLP practitioner course, we looked at ways that we can boast students self-belief to encourage a positive atmosphere for classes. I have always found that this keeps students focused and makes learning enjoyable. Many teachers prefer to use the 'old school' approach... chalk and talk... which some consider a dictatorship style. I prefer to be a bit more 'new age', last year following the NLP course I worked hard to keep a relaxing environment which I felt was more conducive for learning and I have really found that it works. Students seem to be less inclined to mess about when there is a good rapport between staff and students. Of course there will always be a line, which you cannot cross. However pep talks and boasting the class, by keeping feedback very positive really helps. I recently started working with a really difficult class who were extremely dysfunctional as a result of timetable problems. It may sound a little bit arrogant but I feel I was able to bring them together just by pepping them up. Saying to them 'you have a really nice group'... 'lots of talented people'... 'you work really well together' and it has worked. Just recognising that and tell them that has really helped to turn things around and as a result they really have been working well together and really have been a lots nicer, even the most difficult learners in the class seem to have softened.

The class that I am experimenting with the self-esteem course are quite a contrast to the class I have just described. The students I am using in the experiment have been my tutor group for the last 2 years. They are an amazing class and work in a relaxed but productive way. I wonder how the other group would cope with this self-esteem course... would it improve them or would they fail to relax and become disruptive again? Would be interesting to see.

No comments: